Sunday, November 22, 2009

The "Wheel" Deal! ...or, "What's this all about?"

As I prepare to launch a new career as an "artistic" potter, I thought I better try my hand at advertising my wares.

Although I have never been one for self-promotion I thought that in all fairness to myself, I should try and promote what I am doing in the hopes that I will eventually be able to make a living, and have some fun along the way doing this.

I first tried pottery when I was in the Navy as a hobby and soon realized that I had a real talent for doing this style, which I developed on my own back in the early 1980's. Many of those early pieces still exist in homes around the country and here in Western New York where I am based. However, life, career and family commitments took me away from this art form for over twenty-five years, but after making an unplanned, although not unexpected career change in August 2009, I decided to follow my heart and take a "leap-of-faith" and pursue dream.
This is still the "pre-launch" phase of the business as I am trying to build inventory and plan the business before I "launch" my business and start selling. If you notice a bit of mildly "salty" language and nautical phrases, it is probably due to my early career in the Navy as an Electronics Technician aboard the USS BOSTON (SSN-703) as a Reactor Operator. However, I decided not to continue in that career and became an IT professional 25 years or so, despite the fact that I found it unsatisfactory and unrewarding, it paid the bills as they say. Sorry for digressing, but I thought you might like some background about me in the hopes that you will be inspired to purchase these items, when I finally open my doors (figuratively) for business! Please feel free to comment!


1 comment:

  1. I am happy to say that I am officially Bruce's first paying customer. As soon as I mail him my check (for I live way across the state on Long Island, New York), he will ship his "On the Pot" sculpture to me for its proud display in my home, the exact spot I haven't yet decided on before first seeing the piece in person when it arrives hopefully some time this week.

    I love so much of Bruce's whimsical creations and find him to be a multi-talented man of impeccable integrity -- yet he still manages to be a fun guy! Bruce and I are both active participants in lively on-line Facebook interchanges. Facebook is where I first became familiar with the details of the work of this fastidious artist. He often photographs his sculptures from inception through the several pottery phases to the finished product. Each of the pieces are his babies and by the time he painstakingly brings them to completion, I'm sure the feeling is akin to what parents feel at seeing their child at birth.

    Do yourself a favor and check out this sculptor's wares. Then be among the first to get a Bruce A. Causland original. I expect when word gets out, he will barely be able to keep up with the demand for his creations!!

    Good luck, Bruce, and as they say: "The check is in the mail." (No, really!)

    ReplyDelete